Search for a course...
City & Guilds 7579 CAD (Computer Aided Design) Level 2 – The Principles & Practice of 2D CAD
The use of Computer Aided Design (CAD) systems in industry has become an essential part of the modern working environment.
Duration: One evening per week for 2 hours, for 36 weeks
Course Code: C43532DLV2
Course Code: C43532DLV2
It is used at all stages of the design process, from conceptualisation to production of working drawings. This unit aims to equip candidates with the basic understanding and principles of the 2D drawing environment, in terms of hardware, software and physical surroundings. It will explore the typical composition of a CAD system and health and safety matters that are associated with safe working practices.
1. Use associated IT, CAD hardware and operating systems.
2. Use basic file management techniques and maintain health & safety requirements.
3. Use and identify key components of the software relating to 2D CAD.
4. Use a range of viewing commands and set up the drawing space.
5. Use drawing commands to produce simple shapes.
6. Use coordinate methods to aid accurate drawing.
7. Use hatching, text and simple dimensioning routines.
8. Use basic editing commands and produce simple hard copies
Most of the course content is delivered using tutorial handouts with tutor support as required, allowing learners to progress at their own pace.
There are no formal qualifications required. However, a basic competency in the use of a PC computer and file management is necessary.
The nature of both the learning and assessment required for the qualification is such that candidates will need basic literacy and numeracy skills ie the ability to read and interpret written tasks.
Progress & Assessment
Two drawing assessments and an online assessment for underpinning theory.
Students who successfully complete this unit may wish to attempt the 7579 Level 3 – Unit 1. – The Application and Modification of 2D CAD unit.
Fees for the 2013/14 academic year are currently under review. Figures given below are indicative only and subject to change. Fees will be posted here as soon as they become available.
Fee details are available from the College. This is a full cost course and no fee remission is available.
Construction & Engineering
For further details please contact the Information Office on 01522 876274