Search for a course...
HND Creative Media Production
We are Creative Media Production. We make films, TV programmes and music videos. If this appeals, apply today and join us in our Mac suites and multi-camera TV studio, to learn about these and much more, in a friendly, exciting environment.
Duration: 2 years
Course Code: 013P
Course Code: 013P
The course is focused on developing practical skills and experience ready for employment in the media sector, or further progression to higher levels of study. You will use a range of resources, including digital SLR cameras, professional level HD video cameras, editing software and Mac computers. The course focuses on moving image production, so there is a large focus on short film production, documentary, experimental film, multi-camera studio programmes, foundation visual effects skills and video editing. There are also opportunities to explore elements of photography, animation and sound production within the project briefs.
Projects are largely practical, but do feature an academic element to support the learner’s understanding of the subject being studied. The course enjoys plentiful access to Mac Pro and iMac computer suites (featuring Final Cut Pro editing software, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe After Effects, Soundtrack Pro and many other industry packages), Sony HD (Z1 and Z5) cameras and production equipment, and also has a well-resourced multi-camera studio and gallery control room, which can also double for sound recording and photography shoots.
The first year leads to the Level 4 Higher National Certificate, with the second year leading to the full Level 5 Higher National Diploma qualification. Applicants to this course are expected to fulfill both parts of the qualification.
Examples of the sixteen units you will study as part of your course are:
- Practical Skills for Moving Image Production
- Film Studies
- Camera and Lighting Techniques for Moving Image Production
- Television Studio Production
- Fiction Production for the Moving Image
- Script Writing for Moving Image Production
- Producer for Moving Image Production
- Moving Image Documentary Production
- Development and techniques of Film and Video Editing
- Director for Moving Image Production
- Work Experience in the Creative Media Sector
- Project Design, Implementation and Evaluation
- Specialist Subject investigation for Creative Media Production
(Unit specifics are subject to change)
Applicants to this course must be 18 and over and possess grade C or above in GCSE Maths and English and one of the following:
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Creative Media Production at grade MPP;
- At least two A Levels at grade C or above, one of which should be in a related subject (i.e. Media Studies, Graphics, Photography etc.);
- 160 UCAS Points through equivalent courses (at Programme Co-ordinator's discretion);
- Related work experience
Applicants will also need to present a strong creative portfolio, which could include any of the following:
- Video/audio work
- Annotated research
- Annotated D&T/art-based work of a high quality*
*If a candidate does not have a creative portfolio, a project may be given to allow candidates to demonstrate their visual creativity and course suitability.
EU and International applicants
- NARIC confirmed equivalent of 160 UCAS points
- Overall IELTS score of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in each component or equivalent such as Pearson or any other English language tests that have been approved by UK Border Agency
Progress & Assessment
The course is entirely coursework based; learners work to achieve Pass criteria in each unit, with Merit and Distinction grades awarded for meeting additional standards in the overall quality of their work.
The final grade awarded at the end of the course will be Pass, Merit or Distinction, based on the combination of grades achieved in individual units.
After completing the HND qualification, you will have a strong set of practical skills for entering employment in the media sector, or may choose to progress to higher levels of study, such as a top-up year at a university (to achieve a full undergraduate degree), and onwards to postgraduate courses.
Home and EU students - £5,990 per academic year
International students - £9,000 per academic year
Eligible students studying their first higher education funded course do not have to pay any tuition fees upfront. Instead, Tuition Fee Loans are available to UK and EU students and are paid directly to the College to cover the cost of fees. These are repayable after you graduate or leave your course and earn over £21,000 a year. For more information, please visit www.gov.uk/browse/education/student-finance
For further information on the support available to you, please see Fees and Financial Support
How to Apply
Apply through UCAS at www.ucas.ac.uk
Institution code: L42
Course code: 013P
Sport, Care and the Arts
For further details please contact the Information Office on 01522 876274