If you want to pursue a career in catering then this is an excellent place to start. This course will provide you with the underpinning skills and knowledge to progress through the levels of food preparation and food service to a high standard.
Successful completion of this course could allow you to progress onto the Level 2 Diploma in Professional Cookery or Level 2 Diploma in Culinary Skills, whilst preparing you for a career within the hospitality industry.
During this course you will explore theoretically and practically the following topics:
• Introduction to Hospitality and Catering
• Food Safety in Catering
• Health and Safety Awareness For Hospitality and Catering
• Introduction to Healthier Foods and Special Diets
• Introduction to Kitchen Equipment
• Introduction to Personal Workplace Skills
• Prepare and Cook Food by Boiling, Poaching and Steaming
• Preparing and Cooking Food by Stewing and Braising
• Preparing and cooking Food by Baking, Roasting and Grilling
• Preparing and Cooking Food by Deep Frying and Shallow Frying Regeneration of Pre-Prepared Foods
• Cold Food Preparation Maintaining a Safe, Hygienic and Secure Working Environment
• Maintaining Customer Care
• Contributing to Effective Teamwork
• Maintaining Food Safety When Storing, Holding and Serving Food
• Preparing and Clearing Areas for Drinks Service Serving Drinks
• Preparing and Clearing Areas for Table/Tray Service
• Providing a Table/Tray Service
• Maintaining and Dealing with Payments
• Cleaning and Store Crockery and Cutlery
You will need 4 GCSE’s at Grade D and above or equivalent (E.g. Grade 3 and above for English Language and Maths).
You will also be required to pass an entry test and a diagnostic assessment, whilst also demonstrating a sustained commitment to succeed.
You will be required to attend a Wellcome Day and provide a reference (from an employer or recent school/college report).
Assessment is a combination of online testing, practical craft assessments, assignments and short answer tests. There are two cookery examinations.Progression to level 2 or onto Hospitality Front of House service provision.