Contact Us

For all course enquiries please call the Course Enquiry Line on 030 030 32435

For general enquiries please call 01522 876000 or email .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

For International enquiries outside the EU, please call +44 (0)1522 876000 or email .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Lincoln College

Monks Road
Lincoln
LN2 5HQ

T 01522 876000
F 01522 876200
E .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

View Larger Map View Campus Map

Newark College

Friary Road
Newark, Nottinghamshire
NG24 1PB

T 01636 680680
F 01636 680681
E .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

View Larger Map View Campus Map

Gainsborough College

Acland Street
Gainsborough
DN21 2LG

T 01427 617471
F 01427 617577
E .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

View Larger Map View Campus Map

Find a Course...







Our Story

Summary

Today Lincoln College is more than just a further education institute serving the local community of Lincoln.

Operating in numerous buildings over multiple sites, across county borders and internationally the College has grown beyond all expectations from when it first open its doors on the 27 September 1886.  

1886

The Lincoln School of Science and Art founded

Lincoln College developed from the Lincoln School of Science and Art, which opened 27th Sept 1886 the first Head was Mr A B Griffiths.

View Image

1893

Purpose-built engineering workshops

Purpose-built engineering workshops were added on the north side of the original building (now known as Gibney Building) at a cost of £1,428 2s 3d.​

View Image

1898

New Principal

Mr A E Collis became principal. He had been employed in the drawing office of Ruston, Proctor & Co before embarking on a career in education.  He took over from Mr J H Belcher​

View Image

1901

School re named

The School of School of Science and Art is handed to over to the City Corporation and renamed the City of Lincoln Municipal Technical School  ​

View Image

1908

New Extension

Formal opening of new extension to original building incorporating large science laboratory, advanced electrical laboratory, a lecture theatre, a gymnasium and a dining room. 

View Image

1910

A National First

The first part-time classes of engineering apprentices began. These were some of the very first in the country. Courses included Mathematics, Engineering, Drawing and Mechanics. Apprentices attended on Monday of each week without loss of wages, and in some special cases the firms also paid the fees

(£1 10s 0d for the course).

View Image

1914

The Great War

The school continued to operate during the war, organising training classes for munition workers, training over 400 girls for local firms.

The war claimed the lives of 70 “Old Boys” 

View Image

1928

Time for a change

Lincoln Municipal Technical School  starts to emerge as three distinct entities, the Lincoln Technical College, the City School and Lincoln School of Art 

View Image

1931

End of an era

After 31 years as head of the institution Mr Collis retires as principal and is replaced by Mr E R Walter, who had been Head of the Engineering Department and a former apprentice with Clayton and Shuttleworth.

View Image

1932

New Beginnings

Lincoln Technical College moves in to it's own premises on Cathedral Street. The building had been designed by Mr W G Watkins who had designed the “Gibney Building” extension in 1908 

View Image

1937

Continuing to grow

The rise in student numbers and the necessity to meet  the development of the college warrants the need of a two story extension to the Cathedral Street building 

View Image

1957

Extra room for building studies

A 4 storey concrete extension, contrasting significantly with the architecture of the 1930s is built on the east end of Cathedral Street, 

View Image

1961

New Principal take over

Mr Geoffrey Church takes over as Principal on the retirement of Dr Walters after 40 years of service with the college, 30 of which were as head of the organisation  

View Image

1961

Growing demand see new building opened

Abbey building as it is now known is opened. Containing five floors and costing £194,489.00, the building provide accommodation for a wide range of studies and to provide social areas for student’s including a canteen 

View Image

1962

A period of expansion

The ex Rainforth Showrooms / A.R. Hill garage / Mansbridge garage on the corner of Temple Street and Monks road is purchased.

View Image

1964

Growing and growing

A new for home for liberal and general studies is opened in the former NAAFI on Park Street in Lincoln. The annexe is renamed the Further Education Centre   

View Image

1967

Change of name

The college reached a significant stage in its development  in November 1967 when it was designated the Lincoln College of Technology 

View Image

1969

Another new building is opened

Bishops Building (originally known as Lindum building) is opened on the site of the former abattoir 

View Image

1975

Temporary accommodation demolished

Erected in 1947 to meet to the growing demand for domestic science, dressmaking and commercial studies. The prefabricated buildings on Abbey street were demolished after nearly 30 years of use 

View Image

1978

Old cattle market site gets new lease of life

The college expands further by developing the lower half of the site previously occupied by the cattle market. The two new buildings, Monks and Deans cost £800,000 to build 

View Image

1981

Goodbye Mr Church

After 20 years as Principal of the college Geoffrey Church retires and is succeeded by Arthur Ridings who becomes the sixth Principal of the College.     

View Image

1986

100 years of education

During the academic year 1986 – 87 the college celebrated its centenary. The celebrations began with a service of thanksgiving at Lincoln Cathedral. The highlight of the year was a visit by His Royal Highness The Duke of Gloucester. 

View Image

1987

Three become one

Through the combining of Lincoln, Louth & Gainsborough Colleges, Lincoln College of Technology becomes North Lincolnshire College

View Image

1989

Changes at the top

Dr Allan Crease is appointed Principal after the resignation of Arthur Ridings, who left to take up a role of Director of Education for Lincolnshire County Council  

View Image

1993

New reception opens

Built mainly from glass to give maximum light, the new reception opened on the front of Monks Building. The new facility also brought together guidance services and general office functions. 

View Image

1994

Former Principal remembered

A derelict piece of land at the far end of Cathedral Street is turned into a Halls of Residence at a cost of £1.2 million. The building is named after much respected former Principal Geoffrey Church.  

View Image

1995

A new centre for Gainsborough learners

View Image

1998

Old courthouse gets new lease of life

Sessions House, Lincoln’s former prison and magistrates court reopened after a £2.4 million refurbishment  to create a new teaching space for catering & hospitality and travel & tourism   

View Image

2000

New Principal takes charge

John Allen becomes the 8th principal of the institute following the resignation of Dr Allen Crease.   

View Image

2002

New name, new identity

North Lincolnshire College becomes Lincoln College. To give a clearer identity than the old name suggested, the college change its name to Lincoln College. A new logo was introduced at the same time

View Image

2003

New learning facility open

The Friary Learning Centre (FLC) is opened.  The new build, combining a traditional library and IT Centre was built in an area between Abbey Building and the Monks Road shop frontage of Temple Building.  

View Image

2004

Campus developments continue

Abbey Building reopens after £5million refurbishment the work had begun in September 2003. A complete transformation has taken place with a new refectory, now known as Blackfriars Restaurant and Coffee shop. New science laboratories on the top floor and general classrooms for A levels has given this building some much needed modernization

View Image

2004

Extension for building and construction courses

Two new extension where added to Temple building to create larger teaching space, for construction crafts and technical and professional building courses  

View Image

2006

A bigger welcome for visitors

A new and enlarged reception area and Student Services accommodation was completed 

View Image

2007

Merger takes place

The formal merger between Lincoln College and Newark & Sherwood College is confirmed with Newark & Sherwood College being renamed as Newark College and joins Lincoln College and Gainsborough College under the leadership of Principal John Allen      

View Image

2007

New centre for performing arts

Knights Building (the former Tradex superstore) becomes the new home for Performing Arts, Music and Plastering. The building was built in 1871  

View Image

2008

Tranquil retreat created for students

A redundant patch of land behind the north block at Newark College is transformed into an oasis of calm known as the woodland walk. With a wide range of fauna and flora, a small stream and resting places. 

View Image

2012

Deans building reopens

The biggest and most expensive investment in the colleges’ history is opened. Deans Building, which was originally built in 1978, has undergone an £8 million transformation. Some of the features in the building include a 14m hydro facility, with a pool, steam rooms and sauna, commercial hair and beauty salons, a commercial fitness suite, squash courts and dance/training studio and class rooms. 

View Image

2013

New location key to success

Student and staff from the Newark Piano School moved into their much need new home on Appletongate the former location of Newark magistrate’s court.   

View Image

2014

Goodbye Principal Hello CEO

After nearly 14 years as Principal of Lincoln College John Allen retires, and is replaced by Gary Headland and becomes the College’s first Chief Executive Officer and 9th head of the organisation

View Image

2014

Student Hub opens

Monks Building opens after a £4.5 million investment - The redevelopment will house the new library, student common room and a Centre for Professional Excellence

View Image

2016

Exciting new learning opportunity announced

Following closely from February’s announcement on the launch the UK’s first Construction Career College,   Lincoln College announced the launch of a new Career College in Air & Defence, supported by The Royal Air Force.

The two new colleges will be located at Lincoln (Air Defence) and Gainsborough (Construction) and will open September 2016. 

View Image

1920

Newark Title

Text

1920

Gainsborough Title

Text

View Image
Facebook Facebook Messenger Twitter LinkedIn Youtube Snapchat Instagram